Safety and Education Committee Report
New Hampshire Bike-Walk Summit
Planned for July 14th
New Hampshire bicyclists and bike-ped advocates are invited to a Statewide Bike-Walk Summit on Saturday, July 14th at Concord Crossing, 2 Whitney Road, Suite 11 in Concord from 9am to 1pm. This event is hosted jointly by the Bike-Walk Alliance of New Hampshire (BWANH) and the Granite State Wheelmen (GSW) bicycle club. In a recent survey, New Hampshire bicyclists and others told us they support a statewide bike-ped advocacy organization. We are holding this Summit to discuss how to transform our organizations to make them more relevant, effective and beneficial to the bike-ped community. The only way to do this is by having a broad spectrum of participants from across the state working together to shape the future they want to see.
Registration for the New Hampshire Bike-Walk Summit is free, and includes lunch and light refreshments. To register, go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-hampshire-bike-walk-summit-tickets-46568092418 and sign up by July 7th. Participation by interested individuals, bicyclists, bike-ped advocates, community organizations, bicycle clubs, trail organizations, bike shops and related businesses is encouraged. The Summit will feature a speaker from a successful New England State bike-ped organization, updates from clubs and organizations across the state, and a format designed to identify and build on New Hampshire's strengths in advocacy, safety and education programs, and bicycling and walking opportunities.
Sign up for the NH Bike-Walk Summit now. Help shape the future of New Hampshire bike-ped opportunities!
Results from “Shaping New Hampshire Bicycling Survey 2018” conducted in April
- 320 people responded to the survey
- Bicyclists indicated they ride on roads 88%, trails 71%, or mountain bike 36%
- 47% use bicycle occasionally for work or errands, 6% as primary transportation
- 83% supported a state-wide bike-ped advocacy organization that also provides some recreational rides and events
- 78% were interested in attending a NH Bike-Walk Summit and 33% indicated they'd be willing to volunteer to assist a state-wide bike-ped organization.
- 33% indicated they'd be willing to volunteer to assist a state-wide bike-ped organization.
- Interest in advocacy focused on staying informed national/state issues 61%, and support for State legislation to protect vulnerable road users 48%
REMINDER: BE SEEN!
Make sure to wear at least one item of reflective outerwear apparel, such as a reflective vest, jacket, or helmet strip, during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise.
Safety and Education Coordinator